Tuesday 11 October 2016

Modelling






This week our task was to create a mini golf course, we did this by creating quite a flat rectangle and added a side to it which would be duplicated to be put onto the other side, this would form the basic shape of a hole of mini golf. I then added a sphere, made sure it was the same size on all 3 axes, and increased the subdivisions in order to make it as round a sphere as possible, this would create my golf ball.

The next task was to create a flag, I added the flag pole first in the form of a cylinder, and then added an actual flag. I added a rectangle to the pole and decided to change it to a triangle flag by reducing the amount of faces used to create the rectangle to one face, I could then manipulate the face which would change the whole shape, I compressed two points on the y axis in order to create a triangle. John showed us a way to animate the flag using physics to make it look more realistic. I did this but decided to go back to a rectangle flag. I then added a hole to the course. I did this by creating a cylinder and moving it to where I wanted my hole to be. I then clicked on my "ground" rectangle, held down shift on the keyboard and then clicked on the cylinder. I then clicked on the Mesh menu in the top of the screen and then selected Booleans and then selected the difference option in order to create a hole in the "ground" object that was the size of the cylinder.

I then tried to think of ideas of what more I could add to the model. I decided to add a windmill because it is a traditional mini golf feature. To do this I started with a cone, and then changed to vertex mode where I moved the peak of the cone to be level with the the edge of the circular base. I then added a cylinder to the centre of the windmill in order to hold the windmills "sails" which are made from a relatively flat rectangle, duplicated and then moved into position within the cylinder. I then used the same technique as I used to create the hole, to make a tunnel through the bottom of the windmill.

References
  • Software Used: Autodesk Maya
Project Folder

No comments:

Post a Comment